http://amandaheal.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Updating_Your_CV.jpg 515 784 Amanda Heal http://amandaheal.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Logo4.png Amanda Heal2017-09-15 08:47:232017-09-15 14:59:08Top tips for updating your resume
These are the things you should pay particular attention to when updating your Resume.
Career objective/career overview
- this should be in reverse chronological order;
- don’t go beyond 10 years, or the last 3 jobs;
- You can include a sentence about other previous employment, that further details can be provided on request.
- meeting a target is not an achievement, but what you are paid to do;
- Use verbs;
- include any awards etc;
- limit to three per job if possible.
Plug all resume gaps
- These are a normal part of life, so don’t worry about being honest about these;
- Be brief about the reason for the gap, and focus on any skills you may have obtained.
Education and training
- This should be in chronological order;
- Don’t include secondary school, unless this is your first job;
- include industry related training, TAFE courses, and in-house training.
- These will give the employer an idea of whether you will fit the culture of the organisation.
- If at all possible, include your current supervisor;
- Include phone numbers and email address;
- Don’t attach written references, but include a sentence saying that written references will be provided on request.
- Use an easy to read font
- consider including contact details at the top of each page;
- If using bullet points, keep them all the same;
- Consider centering your career summary and contact details, and keeping everything else left justified;
- You could use a table layout, as I did, but this can take up more space;
- Limit to 4 pages if possible.
Customise your resume for each job application.
- Write a general resume, and then tweak it for each job application to give the employer what they want;
- Customise your career summary to include the top credentials that you have that the particular employer requires;
- Modify your job history so that you highlight the duties that best fit with those in the job description;
- Similarly, modify your strengths and skills sections to highlight those that best fit the job description.
Last edited on 15/9 to fix broken link.