* As time is fixed and energy isn’t, managing energy is far more effective than managing time;
* we are at our most creative when we are most relaxed;
* Most adults need 6–10 hours of sleep per night.
Productivity tip: Manage your energy rather than your time.
* We don’t multitask, we really just switch between tasks;
* We lose momentum every time we switch tasks;
* We lose 20 minutes each time we switch tasks.
Productivity tip: Do one thing at a time, and remove all distractions
* 80% of the tasks on our lists shouldn’t be there;
* The most important tasks aren’t necessarily the most urgent ones;
* Don’t spend more time managing the list than doing what is most important;
* If a task will take more than 2 minutes to do, don’t add it to the list, but just do it.
Productivity tip: eliminate, delegate or automate as many tasks on your list as possible.
* Disorganised workspaces, hard drives and inboxes increase stress and decrease efficiency and productivity;
* Order makes us feel good, and increases productivity.
Productivity tip: Restoring order, while taking time in the short run, will save time in the long run.
* Being constantly accessible leads to constant distractions;
* Turn everything off when you need to focus – this is only temporary;
* Giving access to everyone reduces your accessibility to those who need it most, so prioritise your accessibility.
Productivity tip: Set aside periods of the day when you are not accessible.
* Prioritise who to respond to, and resist the pressure to answer immediately;
* Periods of unresponsiveness are necessary for focus;
* A study conducted by Adobe showed that US workers spend 6.3 hours per day checking email.
Productivity tip: Set aside periods during the day especially for responding to email and social media, and limit responses to these times.
* It takes time to adopt new technology , as there is always a learning curve;
* Constant switching can limit productivity;
* If your approach to productivity is broken, new technology won’t fix it;
* New technology doesn’t guarantee improved productivity.
Productivity tip: Evaluate your approach to productivity rather than the device that supports it.